DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a co-owner of a cleaning company. One of our clients sent us pictures saying our product (environmentally friendly) damaged her tiles. Our ladies said as soon as water hit the tiles they started to changes colours before any cleaning product was used. Can someone please help me explain the pictures? Could it be water damage? The client says it has never happened to her...

Attachments

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
I can't be positive, but I doubt it's caused by a cleaner. Try using the cleaner on another area of the same floor. Those look like porcelain tiles and even acid shouldn't damage the glaze.

I'm leaning more towards a discoloration caused by pooling of shower water that has saturated the deck mud under the tiles. The top deck mud should be about 1 ¼" or more right there. This mud is sitting on top of the shower pan membrane which has another layer of mud pre-slope under it which is supposed to be sloped to the weep holes in the drain. These weep holes are about 1 ½" below the tiles. If I'm right, the membrane is holding water and/or the weep holes are plugged.

But if I'm right, the client has probably seen this seen before, although I suppose it's possible this may be the first time.

It would be helpful if I knew the tiles were real porcelain or something else. How long ago was this shower built, and how long has the client lived there?

Jaz

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.