DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about paving my driveway, but I am planning on selling my house within the next year or two. Would getting that work done increase my home value?
I keep reading different things online, and not sure what to do.
https://www.stgeorgeconcreteco.com/driveway-contractors.html
On this site it talks about getting the driveway colored, any thoughts on this?

·
retired framer
63,210 Posts
Do most houses in the neighbourhood have paved drives or concrete drives or coloured concrete drives. If you sell your house, you will be in competition with other house, what would you expect them to have for the same price range?

·
retired framer
63,210 Posts
That is a great point. Most of them are not coloured, so maybe I should keep it more simple, and just get it paved.
When you get quotes, you want a guaranteed thickness after it is rolled.

back in the 70s I had a company do mine, they showed up with the road machine and a 14 yard truck and put in a road.

The builder of 3 houses next to me had 3 houses done on the same day by a different company. They did all three drives with that 6 yards.

Both companies where charging the same price per square feet.

Talking about tons or yards might be a good idea.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
Paving a driveway is going to be pretty expensive. Can't see how it will payback when selling, unless your driveway is really bad.

But the link discusses just putting a thin topping over existing concrete. I Can't speak to the cost or life of a thin topping, but i would be skeptical. Concrete cracked due to movement of the ground most likely. When it moves again, a thin topping is going to move too (i.e crack too).

If you are selling the house, coloring it risks that some potential buys don't like the color. One guy in my neighborhood had some kind of die/stain put on his driveway. Looked horrible (mostly due to color he chose) on day 1, and maybe 6-8 years later, a third of it has worn away. Another guy had the real pros do his driveway and sidewalk. They spent a couple of days just prepping the concrete before they ever put something on top. It was some kind of topping. Tile pattern, fake grout lines, texture, but looks awesome. Guarantee you the second guy paid many times what the first guy did.

·
Usually Confused
9,576 Posts
I'm sort of between Neal and Dave on this one. Assuming your current stone driveway isn't an unholy mess, consider your neighbourhood, which is what your sales competition will be. If your neighbourhood is a mix of paved and not, perhaps maybe not worth it, but if you are the only dirt driveway in a sea of paved, you may have to accept less or wait longer. If your neighbourhood is mixed, perhaps check out what both types of houses have sold for. This will give you a sense of the ROI on the cost.
Also, are you talking about asphalt or concrete? You've mentioned colouring and I can say I've hear of coloured asphalt. Up here, concrete is much more expensive.
If you do decide to go coloured, check out the portfolios of those bidding. A buddy had his coloured and it was pretty much gone in a couple of years.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
certainly replacing a driveway's more expensive than incidental repairs - most of our calls require replacement as repairs aren't justifiable re $$,,, even we can't save severely distressed concrete.

we do install polymer-modified overlays on conc driveways BUT no matter how well crack (repair/filling/sealing) are done, that crack is still there & will reflect thru anyone's overlay material.

sher-wms sells a h&c liquid product that may fill your need

having post'd all this, success is not easily obtained by diy'ers

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
1 more thing - if you trade in your old car on a new 1, do you get a higher trade-in value because you just put tires on the old one ? no, of course not - a car is supposed to have tires,,, but drive in w/wornout tires & you'll get less,,, therefore your driveway should be 'keeping up w/neighbors imo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paving a driveway is going to be pretty expensive. Can't see how it will payback when selling, unless your driveway is really bad.

But the link discusses just putting a thin topping over existing concrete. I Can't speak to the cost or life of a thin topping, but i would be skeptical. Concrete cracked due to movement of the ground most likely. When it moves again, a thin topping is going to move too (i.e crack too).

If you are selling the house, coloring it risks that some potential buys don't like the color. One guy in my neighborhood had some kind of die/stain put on his driveway. Looked horrible (mostly due to color he chose) on day 1, and maybe 6-8 years later, a third of it has worn away. Another guy had the real pros do his driveway and sidewalk. They spent a couple of days just prepping the concrete before they ever put something on top. It was some kind of topping. Tile pattern, fake grout lines, texture, but looks awesome. Guarantee you the second guy paid many times what the first guy did.
That makes sense, yeah my driveway right now doesn't look that great, concrete is cracked. You are right about the color, should probably keep it simple.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sort of between Neal and Dave on this one. Assuming your current stone driveway isn't an unholy mess, consider your neighbourhood, which is what your sales competition will be. If your neighbourhood is a mix of paved and not, perhaps maybe not worth it, but if you are the only dirt driveway in a sea of paved, you may have to accept less or wait longer. If your neighbourhood is mixed, perhaps check out what both types of houses have sold for. This will give you a sense of the ROI on the cost.
Also, are you talking about asphalt or concrete? You've mentioned colouring and I can say I've hear of coloured asphalt. Up here, concrete is much more expensive.
If you do decide to go coloured, check out the portfolios of those bidding. A buddy had his coloured and it was pretty much gone in a couple of years.
Thank you so much for your response. All of my neighbors have theirs paved, so I think it is a great point to look around other houses. Should probably stay away from the colored ones, since everyone is telling me about a lot of negatives. And I was looking into concrete.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 more thing - if you trade in your old car on a new 1, do you get a higher trade-in value because you just put tires on the old one ? no, of course not - a car is supposed to have tires,,, but drive in w/wornout tires & you'll get less,,, therefore your driveway should be 'keeping up w/neighbors imo
Def agree with you on this one. Thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts