DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house was built in 1999 and all the wiring through the home other then to the AC and stove is 12/2 or 12/3 Romex. All of it is white sheathed. But when I went to Home Depot to buy more 12/2 all they have is yellow sheathed 12/2 and the 14/2 is white. I then checked my local Carter Lumber and they had the exact same thing, 12 is yellow and 14 is white.

Did they stop selling it all in white so it's easier to tell the difference? I guess it doesn't matter but I wanted to make sure before I buy some. Can I still find white 12/2 and 12/3 to maintain uniformity with what is already installed?

·
Registered
630 Posts
My house was built in 1999 and all the wiring through the home other then to the AC and stove is 12/2 or 12/3 Romex. All of it is white sheathed. But when I went to Home Depot to buy more 12/2 all they have is yellow sheathed 12/2 and the 14/2 is white. I then checked my local Carter Lumber and they had the exact same thing, 12 is yellow and 14 is white.

Did they stop selling it all in white so it's easier to tell the difference? I guess it doesn't matter but I wanted to make sure before I buy some. Can I still find white 12/2 and 12/3 to maintain uniformity with what is already installed?
Yes 12-2 was white and black check the lettering on the wire.1999 i think was white

·
Super Moderator
14,967 Posts
I have not seen white #12 NM for several years. There is no issue with the different color sheath. It does not need to match the older cables.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping to buy the same but doesn't sound like they make 12/2 in white anymore. Yes I'm positive its 12ga...the smallest breaker in the box is a 20A and I've checked the wire are multiple places throughout the house with them all saying 12. It's not a big deal for new runs but I was trying to match the old for some extensions (like I have a pull string on a light so I'm going to just put a switch in between and a regular light base....just will look goofy with a 6' piece of yellow with whites going into the junctions in the middle).

Thanks for the quick answers.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Am I understanding correctly that the romex is exposed where it can be seen? Typically that's a no-no, except for example in a garage with open framing.

·
Super Moderator
22,173 Posts
It is not a code issue yet but has become a sort of industry standard for different gauges to be different colours.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No romex is exposed in the house....this is down at my breaker box. And the place where I'm looking to add a switch in is in my unfinished basement where I can see all the romex runs also. So since I was adding to I was hoping to stay the same color but it's really not a big deal I suppose.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
You can always paint the stuff, if you really don't like the yellow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hahaha....no I don't care that much. :) In all honestly once I put up drywall I'll never see it again other then at the breaker box. And even then I hope I'm not checking my breaker box very often....

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
110.11 refers to deteriorating agents
Is that the right section ?
If so I guess it would depend upon the paint

I think it may also depend upon when it is painted
I'd never paint anything before Inspection
But I have seen plenty of NMB painted the color of a basement wall

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Am I understanding correctly that the romex is exposed where it can be seen? Typically that's a no-no, except for example in a garage with open framing.
How about a code reference for this one?

Since when is "exposed" NM cable a violation?
What about 334.15?

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
110.11 refers to deteriorating agents
Is that the right section ?
If so I guess it would depend upon the paint

I think it may also depend upon when it is painted
I'd never paint anything before Inspection
But I have seen plenty of NMB painted the color of a basement wall
the basis is: you cannot put anything on the wire that would cause it to deteriorate. Unless you can prove (like in UL listing) that what ever paint you are considering putting on the wire will not deteriorate it, you must consider it as not acceptable.

It may have done nothing but unless you can prove it is acceptable, it is not acceptable.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
try 110.11 but there are others.
Nope. I ain't buying that one. Latex paint is not a "deteriorating agent"

I've seen plenty of installations where exposed romex was painted over to match the wall, and no evidence of any deterioration or corrosion was present.

Guess again.

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
As far as "Romex" being any coloring: my house was built in '86, I happen to know the contractor who built the house for the "then" home-buyers. The electrical contractor on the job, who I happen to also know, used 12-2 with a light blue color for all of the "feed" wiring in this house. All of the "load" side ran with 12-2 has white outer insulation. This makes it much easier to start tracing a wire when necessary. I also have noticed that "Romex" has been different colors according to wire gauge. Actually I like this approach whether code yet or not. Thanks, David

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
Nope. I ain't buying that one. Latex paint is not a "deteriorating agent"

I've seen plenty of installations where exposed romex was painted over to match the wall, and no evidence of any deterioration or corrosion was present.

Guess again.
PROVE IT.

Prove that the paint did not damage or that it was listed for the purpose.

and your statement is exactly what I was talking about. the old "look at it, it is just fine"

and who said it was latex?

have you ever megged a wire that looked fine but read crap on the tester? I have.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
and if you want something that requires you to prove it is acceptable, read 300.6(C)(2)

and if you want an obscure argument that I am not even going to bother looking for a cite for; adding paint to the sheathing alters the ability of the wire and sheathing to shed heat so it can cause heat build up which does have a deleterious effect on the insulation. How much of a problem? I couldn't tell you because I do not paint wire.

·
Electrician's Helper
202 Posts
Don't you also have to be able to read the print on the sheath?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts