DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm wanting to paint the metal frames of my windows with a golden finish - something that would look like gold plated.

Which colors would I need to mix to get such a color?
I went to Adobe Photoshop and checked for gold color. It gives me the following compositions:
Hue: 51
Saturation: 100
Value 100
R: 255
G: 215
B: 0

How would I interpret these in to color mixing? Would I just need to forget about the HSV and just concentrate on the RGB in terms of %?

Also, how would I get the metallic or shine effect keeping in mind it's going to be oil based?

·
Registered
310 Posts
The "color-values" you're referencing are for electronic computer/TV color-rendering ONLY.

They mean LESS-THAN-NOTHING relative to paint mixing.

There are some brush-on gold metallics, but I'd go the "Krylon or Rust-oleum" spraypaint route. You'll get much better bright Golds that way.

I deal with colorant every day......

Faron

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Try this site for converting RGB to paint codes of most major companies. I find it helpful as a starting point working with my color programs. You still have to go to the paint store and check that the chip shown is what you had in mind. And be sure to set the color for your monitor to 6500K before you start so you are not comparing apples to oranges. This particular program has a utility for doing that but only within the program.

http://www.easyrgb.com/

To get a metallic look you are going to need something with metal in it and there are several gold looking alternatives but the metal is probably not going to be gold so count on it weathering and even turning dull in fairly short order if used outside. It's a little hard to keep the metals stirred into the paint so be patient or mask off and go the spray can route.

Actually gold leafing the frames but not be out of the question depending on how much you want to spend. Solid 24kt leaf will hold its sheen and color for a lifetime. You can get it in rolls. You will probably want to put a clear top coat over it.

·
2,392 Posts
Try this site for converting RGB to paint codes of most major companies. I find it helpful as a starting point working with my color programs. You still have to go to the paint store and check that the chip shown is what you had in mind. And be sure to set the color for your monitor to 6500K before you start so you are not comparing apples to oranges. This particular program has a utility for doing that but only within the program.

http://www.easyrgb.com/

To get a metallic look you are going to need something with metal in it and there are several gold looking alternatives but the metal is probably not going to be gold so count on it weathering and even turning dull in fairly short order if used outside. It's a little hard to keep the metals stirred into the paint so be patient or mask off and go the spray can route.

Actually gold leafing the frames but not be out of the question depending on how much you want to spend. Solid 24kt leaf will hold its sheen and color for a lifetime. You can get it in rolls. You will probably want to put a clear top coat over it.
Then he'll come home to find his windows have been stolen.:whistling2:
That's about as productive I can be on this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts