DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an online video where the person was suggesting painting the front door to make it pop or be the first thing someone notices when they look at my house. I thought I would try it but I did not know what color to try. My trim is shell white and the stucco is Taupe Sand. I will check around but I thought I would try on here and see if I could get some suggestions.

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
You have some muted colors so don't go overboard. I would go to one of the free virtual painting programs offered by the major paint companies. I use Benjamin Moore's for example. Select an image of an exterior similar to yours and fill in the trim and body colors close to what you have. Then play around with different door colors. When you find something you like, go the paint store and look at the real swatch. Prime and paint your door for that matter to try it out. You will only need a quart or so.

You can also import a picture of your home into the software if you have time and patience to mask out the different painted areas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I remodeled my house last year and repainted it with my favorite yellow. It looks pretty good, I chose the paint color from the previous one to be brown. It's great that the 2 colors combined make my house stand out from the outside, a bit rustic and modern at the same time.

·
Registered
Yes
545 Posts
What color is your roof?

My much better half is the color designer for our forever home.
Grey siding, white trim, white garage door, light brownish roof.
Wife chose almost a chocolate brown.
Door faces due west. It gets hot to the touch in the summer.

FWIW...Don.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Paint your door RED…Red invites in prosperity. It’s good Feng Shui.
Feng Shui is Chinese geomantic practice in which a structure or site is chosen or configured so as to harmonize with the spiritual forces that inhabit it.

·
Usually Confused
9,856 Posts
I never really put much thought to it but a few years ago the missus had our front painted a fairly deep red and it really does look good (house is grey brick with medium grey trim & white window/door frames). Some shade of red seems really popular around here, although I have also seen bright yellow and a fairly deep purple.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The truth is, there are no bad colors for a front door, it depends on the style of the house, the other colors on the house and finally, personal taste. If it is being refresh for a sale listing then it's best to go with brown, black, red or forest green. All colors that tend to generally have "curb appeal". Purple or yellow would be a huge NO, NO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts