DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older home that had a cold water leak under the slab. The plumbers ran 3/4 Pex pipe through the yard to the other end of house and drilled into the cinderblocks to rehook water to kitchen. They also put a water faucet outside the wall. Where it goes into the house is all exposed, Have I been duped or is this how a rerouting would go.
Thank You

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have an older home that had a cold water leak under the slab. The plumbers ran 3/4 Pex pipe through the yard to the other end of house and drilled into the cinderblocks to rehook water to kitchen. They also put a water faucet outside the wall. Where it goes into the house is all exposed, Have I been duped or is this how a rerouting would go.
You have been duped. Pex must be shielded from direct or indirect sunlight as it deteriorates when exposed to UV. So where it comes up from the ground and goes into the house, it must be completely shielded from any sunlight.

That aside, if you live in an area that can freeze water, you are also in trouble.

HRG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew it didnt seem right. What should have been used to repair the line? I do live in a southern state , but still freezes. Flat roof , just crawl space so couldnt put it in attic and its replacing a galvanized pipe. thank you

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I knew it didnt seem right. What should have been used to repair the line? I do live in a southern state , but still freezes. Flat roof , just crawl space so couldnt put it in attic and its replacing a galvanized pipe. thank you
Maybe pictures will help others get an idea of your particular situation.

I live in an area that never freezes but do know that in areas that can freeze, underground pipes must be below the frost line, pipes must come up from the ground in a heated area that won't freeze. Pex must be shielded from direct or indirect sunlight.

HRG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts