DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 17'x17' family room with a 10.5' ceiling that I would like to spruce up with a coffered ceiling. Trying to decide how many squares to jnstall, and how "chunky" the grid needs to be for this size room and ceiling height. My first thought was to go with a grid framed with boxes 6" wide and 8" high. Since I'd like to install a light fixture in the center of the room, that suggests an odd number of squares. If I did a 3x3 grid, I'd have 9 squares, each 5'x5' inside dimension. I think a 5x5 grid with 25 smaller squares is too much.

Thoughts on the 3x3 grid of 9 squares? Are the 5'x5' squares too big? If I frame this with 6" wide by 8" high boxes, will that be proportional to my room size?

Thanks for all suggestions.
Larry

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
I can't really help other than to suggest you Google "coffered ceiling pictures" and click on more images. If a picture is worth a thousand words a hundred picture plus should give you a book.

Bud

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hello,

I have a 17'x17' family room with a 10.5' ceiling that I would like to spruce up with a coffered ceiling. Trying to decide how many squares to jnstall, and how "chunky" the grid needs to be for this size room and ceiling height. My first thought was to go with a grid framed with boxes 6" wide and 8" high. Since I'd like to install a light fixture in the center of the room, that suggests an odd number of squares. If I did a 3x3 grid, I'd have 9 squares, each 5'x5' inside dimension. I think a 5x5 grid with 25 smaller squares is too much.

Thoughts on the 3x3 grid of 9 squares? Are the 5'x5' squares too big? If I frame this with 6" wide by 8" high boxes, will that be proportional to my room size?

Thanks for all suggestions.
Larry
Check out Gary Katz. I have his books, I have some videos but I still haven't done a full true coffered ceiling. Several tray ceilings, a handful of faux coffered ceilings but not a full one yet.

This is where I would look. This article and several others by Katz

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2012/08/03/coffered-ceiling-layout/

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
for a room that size i would do 9 sections so basically 2 beams each way you can build a soffit around the perimeter of the rooom too so to have the trim detail continue that will give the best effect.. if your just going to do a standard box beam detaill you dont need the perimeter detail

·
Registered
1 Posts
I built a coffered ceiling. With regard to the design, more coffers look heavier, more involved. I used sketchup to create a model that showed 12 vs 9 coffers for my 18 x 14 room. The depth/ height of the coffer will probably need to follow architectural rules - entablature is typically 1/ 18th of total height?

Are you planning recessed lighting? That may determine where the coffers are placed.

The link to thisiscarpentry is a good one, Gary Katz has a fantastic article on jlconline called "quicker coffered ceilings" on how to actually build the coffers so that all of those inside corners don't expand and contract.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts