DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see over and over on this board where dual circuits with a common neutral need to be on a 2-pole breaker. I knew this was required for circuits where both circuits are used on a common strap in a wall outlet, but was unaware of the requirement on all circuits which use a common neutral. Can anyone tell me the NEC code where this is required and when this started to be required.

I prefer seperate feeds for each circuit, but have several of these that may be "grandfathered" in my house.

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
I see over and over on this board where dual circuits with a common neutral need to be on a 2-pole breaker. I knew this was required for circuits where both circuits are used on a common strap in a wall outlet, but was unaware of the requirement on all circuits which use a common neutral. Can anyone tell me the NEC code where this is required and when this started to be required.

I prefer seperate feeds for each circuit, but have several of these that may be "grandfathered" in my house.
Beginning with the 2008 NEC all MWBC must have a means to disconnect all ungrounded conductors simultaneously. This may be done with multi-pole circuit breakers or with individual circuit breakers with handle ties. There is no requirement to retrofit installations done prior to the code changes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts