DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - my contractor installed an approximately 48-50" rod in my entryway closet. I think it's chrome, but not entirely sure. Anyway, after about a year, I've noticed that the rod is slightly bowed in the center. It doesn't seem to be a concerning amount, but would appreciate views on the photo and whether this looks concerning / should I add a center bracket to avoid future headaches. If I need to add a center support - any suggestions? Thanks for any thoughts!

IMG_4582.jpg

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Yes, i would. Maybe not exactly in the center, find a stud and put it there. You will need a 1x filler to get the support to install properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Will look into it. I kind of assumed that the support studs would give out before the rod itself, but looks like I should add some support.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Or put a real steel pipe inside it if you can get one real close in size.
And even if you can't get one super close, you can get one "close enough" and wrap it in something like sheet vinyl flooring to make up the difference.

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
I wouldn't bother. That looks sufficiently stiff.

You can find center supports on the internet easily enough, but chances that it is the correct height to that upper shelf are slim to none. And then, how stiff is that upper shelf anyways.

If I recall correctly, standard diameters for hanger rods are 1", 1-5/16' and I think 1.5" too. Probably easier just to upsize the rod, if you really want to.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I doubt that the closet rod is in danger of failing, but if the deflection bothers you….

Because of the support board running along the back of the shelf, the bracket in post #8 would require you to mount it on a same thickness vertical piece of wood so that the bracket was sitting on a flat plane. That’s not a big deal if you have the tools to fabricate it (and it’ll need to be painted).

Neal’s idea is good, but as he writes the insert needs to be a very close fit. If the steel pipe or rod that is inserted is a bit smaller in diameter, the closet rod will bend a bit until it touches the insert in the centre of the closet, looking similar to how it does now.

Another option, since the shelf above looks sturdily built and supported, is to hang a support directly from it. This option will require some research to find a support that has the correct dimensions (example shown below).

And another option would be to replace the hollow closet rod with one that has increased wall thickness and stiffness. This will probably be the highest cost option but would have the cleanest look.

Chris

closet rod.png

1 - 11 of 11 Posts