DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad to find this forum. Ever since I was a kid, I hardly ever could afford to have someone else do my repairs & maintenance, so I hit the books and asked around. Now there's YouTube and DIY Forum. Sorry about that all you pros who charge $85 just to show up, but some of us would rather spend that on our own tools and learn skills on our own. Glad you're making a living but some of us just can't afford you or your company's owner's family fun.
If you have innate brain-hand coordination and some smarts, then he main thing is to learn safety first and some basic math, physics and geometry. Learn by doing & try to keep all ten fingers!
Just for fun, I keep a "ghost ledger" of all the money I've saved over the years with one column for "service fees saved". I'm not rich, but there's about
$150,000 in that fantasy account! A dollar saved is a dollar earned. (Just avoid those trips to the E.R.)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Welcome to the group! I like how you think. I'm retired and looking back on how I learned what little that I did. If Google and this forum had been around in 1952, I would be living on my own island or whatever now. This is a great resource for those with basic skills and abilities that just need a few answers.

My way was always, if I can't do something because it takes a special tool, I buy the tool.

Stick around and join the action, SD2

ps. Put your location in your profile so we know where you hail from. Code may be different there.

·
Registered
16,902 Posts
Glad to find this forum. Ever since I was a kid, I hardly ever could afford to have someone else do my repairs & maintenance, so I hit the books and asked around. Now there's YouTube and DIY Forum. Sorry about that all you pros who charge $85 just to show up, but some of us would rather spend that on our own tools and learn skills on our own. Glad you're making a living but some of us just can't afford you or your company's owner's family fun.
If you have innate brain-hand coordination and some smarts, then he main thing is to learn safety first and some basic math, physics and geometry. Learn by doing & try to keep all ten fingers!
Just for fun, I keep a "ghost ledger" of all the money I've saved over the years with one column for "service fees saved". I'm not rich, but there's about
$150,000 in that fantasy account! A dollar saved is a dollar earned. (Just avoid those trips to the E.R.)
HOLY COW!

That's a LOCATION! :vs_cool:

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
I do most things myself but I know my limitations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts