DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. Probably a dumb question, but I'm stumped. Four times today I've found myself curled into a ball stuffed into a very small bathroom cabinet because the drain plug keeps slipping. I know how to fix it and I've been doing it and I"m so proud of myself each time .... but an hour or two later it's not working again! For the life of me, I can not get that crazy little thumb screw to stay tight against the rod. At my age and with arthritis, this has been one of the worst "easy projects" I've ever done. If I have to get down there again I may never get up! :smile:

Any suggestions to help an "older" lady out? :wink2:

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
Help. Probably a dumb question, but I'm stumped. Four times today I've found myself curled into a ball stuffed into a very small bathroom cabinet because the drain plug keeps slipping. I know how to fix it and I've been doing it and I"m so proud of myself each time .... but an hour or two later it's not working again! For the life of me, I can not get that crazy little thumb screw to stay tight against the rod. At my age and with arthritis, this has been one of the worst "easy projects" I've ever done. If I have to get down there again I may never get up! :smile:

Any suggestions to help an "older" lady out? :wink2:
A cheeeep fix that often works is to remove the thumb screw and with a pair of side cutter pliers or *****, approximately 3 threads from the end squeeze the jaws to distort the threads on each side of the jaw cutters just a little. By doing this the screw will still start easy but the threads that were modified just a little will act as a lock nut.

Option ll could be to apply a drop of a product called thread locker. Common choice is Red or Blue. I always go for the Red.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,886 Posts
I can not get that crazy little thumb screw to stay tight against the rod. At my age and with arthritis, this has been one of the worst "easy projects" I've ever done.

Any suggestions to help an "older" lady out?
Ayuh,....... Even though it's called a "Thumb screw",......

Tighten it with a pair of pliers,.....

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Put a little nail polish on the threads before tightening, then tighten with pliers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts