DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have removed my old tile from my bathroom and cut out most of the old 1" plywood it was glued to. Around the edges, there is still the old plywood with mortar on top. What's the best way to get that old mortar off? Chisel and hammer?

Also, once it is off, I need to install travertine tiles. Do I put them on 1" new plywood, or is there something better?

Thanks, Mike.

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,208 Posts
Oh, gosh. Soooo many questions.

A pic might be a good start.

Bathroom tile? Floor, wall, or shower?

It is not recommended to tile directly to plywood. What should be used underneath depends on where the tile is. More details would be helpful.

·
Long-Time DIYer
1,460 Posts
I'm not a tile pro, but those I know say that tile should be layed on cement board and not directly to plywood. Plywood like all wood will shrink and swell with the moisture around it. This eventually will cause the grout and possibly even the tiles to crack. Cement board comes in various thicknesses.
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok folks. I have managed to get the old thinset off with a chisel and sander. Still wanted some feedback on the tile going on the floor of a bathroom and whether putting it on plywood directly is ok.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
It's not the best and safest method--No.

Add 1/4 inch Durrock or wonder Board set into a bed of thinset.Then nailed with roofing nails or screwed with Rock-on type screws.

A mat like the Schluter or Knoble will also work if 1/4" is to thick.---Mike---

1 - 7 of 7 Posts