DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I would eventually like to clean up the wiring in my basement, its a mess. Seems like the result of multiple previous owner DIY projects that didn't share my cable organization OCD.

I know it's a pointless project, and doesn't really add anything other than my personal satisfaction, but eventually I would like to switch my box off and spend a few days running these in a uniform, clean fashion (within code of course). All of the electrical is modern and has been updated, with a modern box, just run like spaghetti.

Anyone ever done this? Although I've seen many basements like this, I can't find anyone on the internet who's tackled it. We have a fridge in our garage on a separate meter so we could last a few days without power in our house fine.

Again, I know it's pointless for most people, but has anyone every done this out of sheer zen-goals, and if so, how long did it take you.

Thanks ahead of time

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
Not to turn off power and do this. But when I rewired this house I did. Everything that leaves the panel goes only two routes. That goes all the way to the outside wall and then turn. Basically there are only two paths of conductors. I did not use romex, I used BX, or what is now MC. That way I could use hangers that would accept up to 10 conductors per hanger.
https://www.erico.com/catalog/literature/F401S.pdf

It took a few more spools of wire, but it looks nice. And I never have a worry of cutting into a conductor, or one that is in the way of something else. I used only #12 AWG for almost all normal branch circuits. I do not like mixing and matching, plus I like to use the largest conductor that I can use.
All conductors that come from the meter base are in 4" conduit, and then into a metal trough, then up into the bottom of each of the panels. I have multiple panels. One 200 amp panel for each floor of the house, and a 200 amp panel for the kitchen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stephen WoW what a mess. In that pic I see 12 code violations. Mostlly wie stapled to underside of joists. definitely a home handyman job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stephen WoW what a mess. In that pic I see 12 code violations. Mostlly wie stapled to underside of joists. definitely a home handyman job.
I know, it sucks. I know you have to drill through joists when crossing with bare romex, but I haven't been able to find how to deal with it across a support beam. Any pointers? Is the answer basically only conduit?

·
retired framer
44,263 Posts
When we do flush beam like that near the electrical supply we add a 2x4 on each side so the wires can be hidden above drywall.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
There is an old adage that states, "Don't mess with anything that ain't botherin' you." By the time you finish this project, you'll have a good appreciation of what that adage implies.

·
Very Stable Genius
4,471 Posts
Hey folks,

I would eventually like to clean up the wiring in my basement, its a mess. Seems like the result of multiple previous owner DIY projects that didn't share my cable organization OCD.

Difficult to do w/o adding junction boxes.

How much will they bug you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is an old adage that states, "Don't mess with anything that ain't botherin' you." By the time you finish this project, you'll have a good appreciation of what that adage implies.
Haha, I don't have a ton of experience, but have enough to understand the adage! I'm willing to risk the mental sacrifice it poses though. But I agree, there's so much spaghetti it's hard to estimate how painful it will be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Difficult to do w/o adding junction boxes.

How much will they bug you?
A lot of those already are split into junction boxes with room left in the basement further down the line, so if I had to replace the romex to make the new length work it wouldn't be a complete fuse to outlet rewire. Definitely something I'd want to plan out and anticipate ahead of time though. But they really do bother me, I feel like I'm living in a junk house every time I go into my basement. I used to run networking and portable 50 unit computer systems at event centers, so cord management became very compulsory

·
Registered
88 Posts
A lot of those already are split into junction boxes with room left in the basement further down the line, so if I had to replace the romex to make the new length work it wouldn't be a complete fuse to outlet rewire. Definitely something I'd want to plan out and anticipate ahead of time though. But they really do bother me, I feel like I'm living in a junk house every time I go into my basement. I used to run networking and portable 50 unit computer systems at event centers, so cord management became very compulsory

Not worth it.
Satisfy your need by running some new low voltage the way you want. Add some outdoor cameras or a WiFi access point or alarm sensors or something like that.

If nothing else that will add some functionality and give a sense for what a rewire would require.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts