DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mailbox is absolutely filthy. I'm not sure why, it's not under any trees, it's not on a main road. It gets plenty of sun all day every day. Yet it's super dirty. I tried to clean it with Fantastic bathroom cleaner but it did almost nothing. Any other suggestions?

A little background info, this mailbox was a grey box I bought from Lowes about 4 years ago. As soon as I bought it, I immediately taped it up and painted it with Krylon metal spray paint. I painted it black first, then taped it and painted the rest white. If you didn't catch it, that is the original NES font from the mid 80s. My name is written in a smaller version of this font on the inside of the door. It looked good. Until it started to turn grimy.

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
What's the prevailing wind at the mailbox? Maybe it, the mailbox, is catching dust from traffic on the road or blow-by from a neighbor's mowing?

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
Automobile exhaust residue easily attaches when the box has reached dewpoint temperature. The box appears to be AL. If it was mine I'd clean it with 0000 steel wool and WD-40.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
It's possibly automobile exhaust particulate that sticks better when the metal has reached dewpoint temperature and is wet then forms a reaction with the metal. As time passes it may look like this parking lot snow pile. The metal may be AL and if it were mine I'd clean it with 0000 steel wool and WD-40 for a metal look or paint it black.

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,286 Posts
Plenty of sun daily.

Sun equals UV, UV destroys any paint job.

Hence we wax our cars , trucks.

Likely your paint is deteriorating, and the black base is coming through.

As advised , I would be trying to refinish that and apply several extra coats of CLEAR, after getting it back to where I like it.

You may need to use another box temporarily for receiving your mail, while you are refinishing this one.

ED

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I would try something like Comet or Barkeeper's Friend, or maybe Tide powder --- whichever you have lying around, but something thick enough that it does not just run off. Maybe let the cleaner sit on there for a minute or two. Plastic bristle brush will help -- you are going to need to scrub.

·
retired painter
9,924 Posts
You may need to use another box temporarily for receiving your mail, while you are refinishing this one

I refinish my mailbox every few yrs. I pick a monday holiday so I can take it down after the mail runs on saturday and put it back up early on tuesday.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I ended up using a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and it worked very well. I had to scrub hard and it made the box glow white again. The plastic flag is super dull, I'd like to hit that with some fresh bright red paint.... but I'm not going to.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,286 Posts
So I ended up using a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and it worked very well. I had to scrub hard and it made the box glow white again. The plastic flag is super dull, I'd like to hit that with some fresh bright red paint.... but I'm not going to.
Remove the screw holding the flag, or drill the rivet, to remove the flag.

Take it into the garage, clean, and repaint it, and use a " barrel bolt", from the BOX store.

This is a small rivet like bolt, with a machine screw to tighten it securely.

Made from aluminum, and comes in many lengths, I.E. select a size from the store box. Around a nickel in cost.

ED

1 - 13 of 13 Posts