DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly old shower that is in need of some TLC. The shower has pink/ black mold stains and a light black haze over the tiles and grout lines. I think the overall solution is just to build a new one, however thats not in the budget right now. I am wondering if anybody knows of a good cleaner that is not overly caustic or over powering with smell. I have sensitivites to chemicals that have a strong odor. I have tried bleach and hydrogen peroxide with less then satisfactory results. Thanks

Attachments

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
It depends on how much Soap Scum you have and also wanting to clean the grout. Just use Sudsy Ammonia or White Vinegar and Baking soda. There is no caustic acid based cleaners out there for a reason.

You are talking about basic 101 house cleaning for what you are doing.

·
Registered
27,946 Posts
I love Scrubbing bubbles by SC Johnson. It's in every grocery store out here. You can leave it on for awhile then rinse & take a shower and see what it's done. I have mild allergic asthma & some chemical sensitivities and have no problem with this, probably because it comes out as a foam. A whole toilet can be done in just a few minutes. ( I know some guys don't know a whole toilet IS cleaned :} Spray and wipe. Tilex works on more serious shower problems but hold your breath! :} A toothbrush works on grout with any of the above. Comet, if you can handle it. But regular use of Scrubbing Bubbles will do it. I don't like that new mist that you leave on all the time. gregzoll is right, this is housecleaning :}

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Magic Eraser might work well on that.

Stain Solver is like extra stength OxyClean. That works well on grout.

I like to use baking soda or diatomaceous earth to make any cleaner a little bit gritty and more aggressive.

Steam cleaning is a possibility, but you need a real professional steam machine. Maybe you could rent one. A truck mounted machine would be even better. Maybe just call Stanley Steemer and have them clean it.

If none of that works, you could use a grout pen to just paint the grout white again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.