DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
shorteared -

Those clay tiles you see are typical of the tiles laid in thousands and thousand of acres of farm land in the Midwest to remove excess moisture and permit earlie planting without rot. They were normally clay, but some mobile machines also made concrete tile because of the size of the installation (a few hundred acres at a time in rows a few feet apart). It was an initial labor intensive project similar to barn-raising and thrashing crews that went farm to farm. Most are functioning now as well as decades ago. It is a concept that goes back to the Romans.

I would not hesitate placing a floor over the tiles, but make sure you use sand as a fill where needed.

As far as the exterior, personally I would not touch the cheap corrugated junk, especially with a "sock". You have a well established source of water. For the exterior walls, if it accessible, I would use perforated pvc. Excavate to about 4" below the footing and line the lower side and bottom with filter fabric and place a backfill of a mixture of clean concrete sand and 3/4" crushed rock. There should be 2- 4" of this below the pipe. Run the sand/rock mixture up to within a foot or so of finished grade and top off with top soil.

Dick

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Regarding the sand, I was referring to a 1-2" or so layer of sand to pour the concrete floor on the basement to get it ready for finishing. If you plan to leave the old concrete in place, it is not needed.

Corrugate pipe (perforated or not) is weak, is easy to install with bellies/sags for collect water and silt. The only good thing is that it is cheap and easy for landscaper to deal with. The ridges slow down the drainage and collect debris.

PVC is more costly, stronger and is readily available in both perforated version and is easy to switch between depending on whether you want to drain or carry water away.

Just a personal opinion based on use.

Dick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.