DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two upstairs bedrooms that have lost power in outlets (7), ceiling fan/lights (2), and two switches. The breaker is not tripped. All the outlets are backstabbed. I've pulled all the outlets and switches to check for a loose wire; all are tight. Using a voltage tester, I found that ALL of the slots on all of the outlets are reading power, i.e. Every slot in each outlet (other than the ground holes) causes the tester to turn red. The other working outlets around the house only register on the hot side.

Next steps are to change breaker and then climb into the attic to see if there is a loose wire.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob, I used both. The plug in showed a hot/ground reverse, which I've seen (on the all-wise internet) is what shows up many times when there is an open neutral. However, I wanted to find the opinions of some who are much more experienced in this than I.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Start with the outlets first. Clip the wires from the backs of the existing ones, and reconnect the wires to new outlets that you need to go and pick up. You can get Contractor 10 packs.

Your problem is because of the backstabbing most likely. But could be a loose wire nut somewhere also. You need to go to every switch and outlet and redo the connection on all of them. So that they are properly attached at the screws, or just poked into the back of the device.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,648 Posts
And that was the reading on every outlet on the circuit.
PoleCat, any trick to figure out where? I've jiggled all the wires but to no avail.
Bob, I used both. The plug in showed a hot/ground reverse, which I've seen (on the all-wise internet) is what shows up many times when there is an open neutral. However, I wanted to find the opinions of some who are much more experienced in this than I.
Sow.... Yes if you do indeed have your reading on every outlet.... your broken neutral is UPSTREAM of every outlet (inclusive of your first outlet.)

Now, I don't know your circuit run, and whether your ceiling fan / light and light switches are upstream. Upstream also includes your neutral at the panel.

A ceiling fan box might be a good first place to look because of the possible vibration (if it is UPSTREAM).

Otherwise, has anything been done electrically preceeding this issue, or even any nailing in walls etc... that could have broken that neutral.

Best

·
Super Moderator
22,731 Posts
It does sound like you have a loose neutral.
If only part of the circuit is out the problem could be in a working device.
If the entire circuit is out it could be a loose connection in the panel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.