DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Still going...
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Making progress, unless someone says otherwise, found a 400 amp DPDT, center off, NEMA 1, just need to find a way to start a "fixed" generator from the inside of house. It should go without saying that I need a system that my wife can get online, not just me.

A fixed propane should still excercise itself without a ATS? If not it will be something I have to do.

·
Still going...
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Ok, found a generator programmable exerciser with remote on/off switch - 12VDC that will run the 17Kw generator. So now its all about total cost and permits.

Before anything is done will get a real time estimate to make sure a whole house 400 amp ATS connected to a 17Kw wouldn't work. I'm afraid two HVAC heat pumps one still on resistive heat, induction, double oven, Advantium Speedcook, sump and well pumps will push us over.

·
Still going...
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
This is the current plan:

Green utility
Yellow generator
Blue output from DPDT in basement.

May need new meter box since current does not have knock outs on the left side, and may or may not be able to be cut large enough hole. He's going to make me push/pull wires so I may want large conduit.:whistling2:

Will need small deep junction box with rear knock out to connect to conduit to go into basement. Sent same diagram to my elec.

Attachments

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
I seriously doubt your power company will let your route your conductors thru their meter socket. Also fused and unfused conductors should not share the same raceway.

Reactions: ChrisDIY

·
Still going...
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I seriously doubt your power company will let your route your conductors thru their meter socket. Also fused and unfused conductors should not share the same raceway.
Thanks! Will have to go around the meter socket. Can you explain fused and unfused?

Looks like will have to color match the siding since running raceways in a logical manner will not work with the boxes in their current location.

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
Unfused conductors would run between the meter and the first means of disconnect, ie ahead of a breaker.

Fused conductors would be downstream of an overcurrent protective device like a breaker.

·
Still going...
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Everything is before the disconnects. So all un-fused. Will redraw to bypass meter socket. Ronk electrical makes a meter socket with DPDT built in. Just wasn't trying to go outside. You can't have cake and eat it too.

Does anybody know data that was used to justify code change to support overdoing generators?

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Android DIY Chatroom

·
Master Electrician
4,603 Posts
everything is before the disconnects. So all un-fused. Will redraw to bypass meter socket. Ronk electrical makes a meter socket with dpdt built in. Just wasn't trying to go outside. You can't have cake and eat it too.

Does anybody know data that was used to justify code change to support overdoing generators?

Sent from my samsung vibrant using android diy chatroom
2008 nec 702.5

·
Still going...
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That's the code? What data: fire, failures, complaints or was it all theory?

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Android DIY Chatroom

·
Still going...
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Going to talk with my electrician about converting old half panel to a feed through type or feed through concept.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/there-load-panel-pass-through-lugs-16506/

Then do new home runs for the HVAC equipment and computers to the old half panel. Then can do a small sub-panel with essential loads to run off of ATS. I think I started off initially going this way now it appears to be forced.

·
Still going...
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
... or 2 200 amp transfer switches, one for each panel. It can be done as we have done it many times.
Can you explain? What connects for example two Kohler RSB-200 amp panels?

·
Still going...
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well sketch in post #23 is now completely out of the question. After talking about the Ronk transfer switch, it cannot be used with a load. So having it inside will not work. Will need to flip disconnects, start generator, transfer, flip disconnects to place generator on load. Same procedure in reverse to go back to utility power.

Waiting for answer on moving items to new 40 circuit panel. Will continue this here: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/chris-diy-guy-vs-ranch-65046/index4/#post590759

21 - 33 of 33 Posts