DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to install a 100 amp subpanel directly next to a main panel to be used as a generator panel during power outages. I'll connect the two with probably a foot of 2" conduit and run the 100A feeders along with the dedicated circuits through that into the sub. I plan to splice extensions onto most of the hots and neutrals (neutrals are required for this sub as it's a neutral-switching panel) for the dedicated gen circuits as I don't think they'll be able to reach and I'd rather not remove each romex cable from the main panel to reroute it.

My question is, is there anything in the NEC that would prohibit me from leaving the ground for each circuit in the original panel's ground bus bar? That's one less wire for each circuit that I'd have to fish thru into the sub and take up space in the conduit.

I'm guessing the answer is no, because I know manual transfer switch panels don't require grounds to be rerouted, but wanted to ask nonetheless. I'll obviously still ground the subpanel with the proper sized conductor.

TIA,
JC

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,339 Posts
Hots and neutrals must be moved, grounds do not. Any cables that reach, I would move the cable.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kevin_Essiambre

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I'm about to install a 100 amp subpanel directly next to a main panel to be used as a generator panel during power outages. I'll connect the two with probably a foot of 2" conduit
Use metal conduit. At that point it all becomes a wash. Both panels end up becoming one big ground backplane. Also you don't need a ground wire, so more space, yay!

and run the 100A feeders along with the dedicated circuits through that into the sub. I plan to splice extensions onto most of the hots and neutrals (neutrals are required for this sub as it's a neutral-switching panel) for the dedicated gen circuits as I don't think they'll be able to reach and I'd rather not remove each romex cable from the main panel to reroute it.
You always need to bring neutrals over! Hots and neutral need to land in the same panel always.

I'm guessing the answer is no, because I know manual transfer switch panels don't require grounds to be rerouted, but wanted to ask nonetheless. I'll obviously still ground the subpanel with the proper sized conductor.
... And that's why you might think that. What those things do is extremely janky and does not reflect good practice, at all.

Rule of thumb, you ought to be able to put any circuit or feeder on GFCI and it ought to work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts