DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The circuit breaker switch that feeds into my bedroom keeps on tripping, but when I look in the breaker box, that switch is not tripped. I switch it off and back on and it lasts for about 5 minutes, then trips again. What could be the problem? Is that switch bad? Do I need to replace it?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
have you tried unplugging everything on that breaker and resetting it? there is probably more on that breaker then just the 1 bedroom.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Is it a AFCI type breaker, also who is the manufacturer of the panel, and if possible, how long ago was it inspected (should be a sticker on it). Have you tried swapping that breaker with another of the same amp to see if it does the same. A breaker trips because of either a dead short, worn out, or mis-wiring. They also can overheat because of a load on the circuit caused by too many appliances, which can also trip the breaker. What all is on that circuit, and is it a receptacle, or lighting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Circuit Breaker

Only half of my room is on that switch, which includes the ceiling light fixture which has a fan, T.V., two night bed lamps and the alarm system is also plugged into that line. Also we have the cell phone chargers and it's only 15 amps. I don't know the make, but if I try changing it, can I increase the amp from 15 to 20? Will that make a difference?

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
Only half of my room is on that switch, which includes the ceiling light fixture which has a fan, T.V., two night bed lamps and the alarm system is also plugged into that line. Also we have the cell phone chargers and it's only 15 amps. I don't know the make, but if I try changing it, can I increase the amp from 15 to 20? Will that make a difference?
Before you can safely change the breaker to 20 amps you would have to verify that all cables and wires that are part of this circuit are 20 gauge. I doubt they are.
The breaker is either tripping from too much current draw or the breaker itself is failing. How old it he house?

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
That year pre-dates AFCI breakers.

Your post does not make sense. You say the breaker keeps tripping but when you look in the panel it is not tripped. Breakers do not reset themselves.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Jim, sounds more like a loose connection in one of the outlets. My guess if it is a trac home, or mobile home, there is the possibility of a back-stab.

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
Before you can safely change the breaker to 20 amps you would have to verify that all cables and wires that are part of this circuit are 20 gauge. I doubt they are.
The breaker is either tripping from too much current draw or the breaker itself is failing. How old it he house?
Oops.................

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Jim, sounds more like a loose connection in one of the outlets. My guess if it is a trac home, or mobile home, there is the possibility of a back-stab.
Might be right Greg. It might be thermal cycling.

Reactions: gregzoll

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Jim, and those are what Fire departments call house cookers. Stuff like that keeps them and electricians in business, along with the insurance adjuster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts