DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, hope for some help. Replacing 15 amp breaker that got sloppy and won't pass voltage to circuit. Any breakers I've worked with always had a plate that held the hot wire in breaker terminal. New breaker just has a screw that holds wire in place. It's cutler hammer BR series which matches challenger BR series removed from panel. Bought from Lowes and all breakers looked the same. Pic attached. Just put wire in terminal and tighten screw, or are these missing the plate that should attach to screw?

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it's stranded wire and this breaker design seems poor for that. Maybe I'll search online to see if I can find another manufacturer of this breaker. Anyone have experience with Challenger panels and breakers that have a plate to hold the wire like below?

·
Super Moderator
10,001 Posts
Thanks, it's stranded wire and this breaker design seems poor for that. Maybe I'll search online to see if I can find another manufacturer of this breaker. Anyone have experience with Challenger panels and breakers that have a plate to hold the wire like below?
That is the only breaker that should be used in your panel

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Well, it's not, but still DO NOT solder.
some just dont understand NEC.

anyways, soldering is fine as long as you clean any residual flux off. this is much better situation than having bare stranded wires splay apart under the screw force. the soldered strands are now more solid solid copper.

if you have some other reasons for no solder than please share.

·
Super Moderator
16,962 Posts
The breaker has already been tested and listed for use with stranded wire. Strip, insert fully and torque to the core t value, done. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
some just dont understand NEC.

anyways, soldering is fine as long as you clean any residual flux off. this is much better situation than having bare stranded wires splay apart under the screw force. the soldered strands are now more solid solid copper.

if you have some other reasons for no solder than please share.

Millions of installations use un-soldered stranded conductors and are doing just fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the different thoughts. I just twisted the wire and tried not to crank down on the screw too much. I don't like this circuit breaker terminal design, but that's just a personal preference from an old timer who's never used it before. Appreciate the advice from those who do it more often than me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.