DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

Thank you for reading this post. First timer here and I hope I'm putting this in the correct place.

I have an exterior free standing shed that was built by the previous owner. It is roughly 20 x 15. It has a concrete slab base, a couple runs of brick, and then ontop of that cinder block.

The roof is shingle and pitched at about 10 degrees +/-

The shed is relatively fine as as but the walls are often damp. I'd like to put some shelving in there but don't love the idea of them up a against a damp (buggy) interior.

What I'd like to do is to find a way to reduce the moisture on the walls.

Seems like I could do a few things.
1. Put drylock or something similar on the interior side
2. Put drylock or something similar on the exterior side
3. (Most expensive) Put vinyl siding on the - well - exterior obviously:)

I want to be careful about locking in any moisture into the cinderblocks as I don't want them cracking in the winter.

Option 3 above isn't likely to happen soon as I have other more pressing house projects.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thank you.
-Nate

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Does the moisture only show up during certain times of the year?
Is it condensation?
What sort of venting is there at the roof line?
Is the ceiling/roof insulated?
Is the wall insulated?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jlhaslip,

Thanks for the response.

There is no insulation (roof, walls or otherwise) of any kind and there is plenty of ventilation at the roof.

I'm not sure of the terminology but on the front and back I could reach my hand up under the roof, along the joists, and down into the interior of the shed.

It isn't condensation - it is moisture coming through the cinderblocks. As for times of year - I suppose in winter it is drier but not really.

-Naet

·
Registered
37,303 Posts
Post a picture of the outside.
If the grade does not run away from the foundation, anything below grade was not sealed before back filling, there's no gutters, no drain tile there may be issues.
No way is sealing from the inside going to work, it all needs to be addressed outside.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC
1 - 5 of 5 Posts