DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for a new laptop and I'm thinking that I'm done with Windows.

Anyone using Chromebooks and what are your thoughts on the platform and
hardware brands?

Also, what about possessor speed and ram, does any of that make a big difference if your connection speed is only mediocre at times?

I'll likely be buying something at Wally World tomorrow.

Thanks! :smile:

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Chromebooks are meant to be lightweight meaning they don't have a lot of horsepower. If you're just browsing, they're fine. If you're used to several applications open at once, they won't hold up.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I think that Chromebooks are great. Whether they would work as a replacement for a Windows computer depends on your usage. I have both and could not get by with just a Chromebook because of the Windows applications that I use all the time. On the other hand, if 99% of what you do is on the Internet, then a Chromebook is a good solution.

I set my wife up with a new Windows 10 computer recently. I spent days getting it ready for her use. The Chromebooks that we got last year were completely functional (except for a battery charge) when they came out of the packaging.

The nice things about the Chromebooks are:
- The auto updates take seconds, since it’s mostly just updating the Internet browser.
- There is very little to go wrong with it, again since it is mostly just an Internet browser.
- If something does go more seriously wrong it can be easily reset to initial conditions (called a “powerwash”).
- If something really catastrophic happens, they’re fairly inexpensive.

Chris

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
It's bad idea to buy a computer designed for one operating system.

Better to get a pc and install whatever open source os you want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts