DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ya'll
I've got a stand of only 10 bulbs on this Christmas-style light string (but Halloween ghosts instead) and when I plug it in, it blows all 10 bulbs instantly. I have tested the 2 fuses inside the plug, they are good and I've changed out all 10 bulbs so it's not one shunt killing the strand, I did try one of those Light Keeper Pro guns, no success..
I'd just replace the string, but no one sells just a string of 10 bulbs, any ideas? I did check for breaks in the wire by the way, but no, I don't know if the bulbs I used are the 2.5 or 3.5's, but I did replace them with all the same amps
Thanks gang

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Sounds like you are using the wrong bulbs. If there are only ten bulbs then they need to be 12 volt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have mentioned they are mini lights, like the icicle lights, I don't think they come in anything higher than 3.5V

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
If you are desperate you could make yourself a dimmer switch in a handy box in the middle of an extension cord, and run it at half-power or so.

I made one of those for our tree, and run it at 80% or so, so the lamps last longer.

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
The string must have been cut then, because 10 lights divided by 120 volts needs to be 12 volt lamps. Doesn't matter how many times you put those lamps into it. They are going to blow every time.
To use 3.5 volt lamps you need to have 35 of them in a string.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
They do make 12 volt mini Christmas replacement bulbs, although home stores (e.g. Lowes) and discount department stores (e.g. Target) are not likely to have them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts