DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I apologize in advance as I have no electrical knowledge. Please forgive me! I have searched the web but can't find....

Could somebody pretty please tell me what the technical specifications are for standard off-the-shelf Christmas light string WIRING?

I have 22 gauge green wiring but the box doesn't have any other specs. I have spliced the wire and it appears to be just 16 tiny copper wires surrounded by some type of PVC.

What would this "type" of wire be called? Is it insulated or shielded?

What type of plating for the conductors, tinned plated copper, silver plated copper, bare copper or would it have an alloy material?

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Lori

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Its more than likely just insulated. Shielded is used more for a communications application and would not be needed for Christmas lighting...

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
It's insulated, not shielded. Typically, the PVC insulation is SPT-1 or SPT-2.(main difference is thickness of insulation.)

Generally, it's not going to be tinned or plated. If it was, those strands would appear as a silver color, not copper.

The actual copper is considered pure. The standard is 99.9% or better. It is annealed for strength.

·
Usually Confused
7,964 Posts
Perhaps if you revealed the project or problem you are trying to solve it might help.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
#22 gauge wire is only rated for 4A in closed spaces to 7A in open air.
But that doesn't mean that the controller can handle that much.
There's no such thing as standard specs
they are all different.
So each different unit will have it's own ratings

1 - 6 of 6 Posts