DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find the right LED bulb for a condo hallway light fixture.

The original bulb was an CFL and it had 520 lumens.

We then decided to go LED. And we're using A19 bulbs so that they can fit in the light fixture.

The first LED bulb we tried was 60 watts and had 500 lumens (EcoSmart). But the person whose unit is in that hallway felt it was not bright enough.

We then tried a 75 watt LED bulb with 1100 lumens (Feit Electric). But he feels it's too bright.

What type of LED bulb would you recommend? I'm very curious. Would like to get this right since I think LED is the way to go.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
Would you believe that ------- I would suggest sticking with the CFL for now.

So long as LEDs cost several times that of CFLs there is the increased chance of pilferage.

Even worse if you go ahead and buy an even more expensive bulb to get the brightness the tenant wants.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Just to be clear, you did not use 60 and 75 watt LEDs, you used 60 and 75 watt-equivalent bulbs, meaning they should provide roughly the same amount of light as a 60 or 75 watt incandescent. The lumen is the measure of light output so if 500 was too little and 1100 too much, you know the next try has to be in between those two numbers.

Keep in mind the color of the light makes a difference and, of course, complicates things even more....

·
Super Moderator
6,815 Posts
It's tough finding the right LED for your application. I know I like the GE brand of LED's I buy at Lowe's but they produce a cooler, brighter light which I like for most areas. Where they don't work so well is with lamps where you might be doing some reading. There, you need the warmer LED lighting, IMO. It's going to take some experimentation to get it right, but, you already know that.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I doubt the guy can actually perceive 20 lumens of difference without being told that it's there. (IE. Side by side difference.)

Look for other 60watt equivalents, or use a dimmer.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I doubt the guy can actually perceive 20 lumens of difference
I agree - I bet the temperature of the light was part of this like maybe it was a warm light LED and a cool or daylight bulb would be fine.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here's how things worked out.

First, I really have to thank all of you for chipping in with advice. This is a very good example of why I love this forum. There are very many Good Samaritans out there and with advice sharing we all benefit.

I ended up getting a Philips 60w replacement, meaning that it's a 9.5w LED. It gives off 800 lumens. I got it from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...206783828?keyword=plc+9.5w+a19+led+dim+sw+2pk).

Supers05: You were especially accurate with your advice.

My condo neighbor felt that this bulb was right for him and came closest, in terms of light, to the CFL bulb that he had before we decided to go LED.

I doubt the guy can actually perceive 20 lumens of difference without being told that it's there. (IE. Side by side difference.)

Look for other 60watt equivalents, or use a dimmer.

Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts