DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm getting ready to replace all of the baseboard in my home. I'm looking for a simple product, likely a 1x6 and will be butt jointing it at corners. Because of the butt joints, I am hesitant to use MDF because I don't think the end will look right when painted/exposed. Also, I have heard MDF has some shrink issues as humidity changes. Are there other engineered products I could use that would be cost effective? I hate paying for oak and then painting it.

I'm in Colorado so humidity is pretty low. Durability is a huge factor in product selection.

Cheers,
Andrew

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I have used primed pine 16’ boards from Lowe’s. They are finger jointed but low cost with good quality. For a harder wood that paints well try poplar.

Reactions: Dave Sal

·
Usually Confused
9,147 Posts
Many on here will disagree but I don't mind MDF. I like it better than fingerjointed pine. Personal preference I suppose. I've never had a problem with MDF being unstable wrt humidity.
I'm curious why you are planning to butt joint. If it's for lack of a power mitre saw, a mitre box and back saw are relatively cheap and, with a little practice can do a great job. It won't matter than much on an inside corner but a butt joint on an outside corner will still be noticeable, moreso with lumber since you are dealing in visible end grain. Or you could get creative with store-bought plinth and corner blocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.