DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased 3x6 ceramic subway tile for a shower wall. Virtually every tile I recieved had a chip in one or more of the corners. The chips generally start at the bottom of the tile and extend upwards towards the glazed surface. While they are rarely visable from the surface, most chips are more than 1/2 the thickness of the tile. The supplier insists this is part of the manufacturing process and these chips are not a concern. I'm a little nervous about durability of these tiles, particularly in a wet environment. Also not sure grout will necessarily fill these voids thoroughly.

Should I be concerned, or are they legit?

Mr JJ

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Sounds like a cheap tile---

You will most likely be fine--they are going on the wall and the modified thinset will give adequate support.

Are these bisque tiles (soft white body)?

Could you post a picture?---Mike---

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike:

Here's a photo. Hope you can make it out. Its not one of the best, but not one of the worst. Unfortunately not "cheap". It is white, but hard to say about the softness issue. Would you be comfortable installing these tiles in your shower?

mr jj

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
They should be O.K.---I'd be returning them myself----Either poor quality control or careless handling.

Once installed the chips won't show or change,However I'd take that supplier off my list.--Mike--

1 - 7 of 7 Posts