DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 600ft dirt/gravel driveway and planning to have it chip sealed. This will be my first chip seal project so don't know much about it.
The contractor is suggesting 2 layers, though I see people doing only 1 layer.
I get that 2 layers will be stronger than 1, but is there a significant difference in terms of strength or longevity? Trying to justify the cost difference (>2K).

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,918 Posts
You do realize that chip sealing is just asphalt that is more runny and not as hot, right?
Is two coats twice as much?

Your question does not provide enough information. The type and frequency of vehicles traveling your drive is very important to longevity. Loaded one ton truck is a lot different than your sports car. Now comes the rub, what is your driveway made out of. When I lived on the farm we had a gravel drive that never held up. Then dad got some road metal delivered and the problem was solved. It was a lot harder gravel and more constant size. That is all I remember.

How old is the drive? Have you compacted it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drive is dirt/gravel and has a pretty solid base but is sloped is when it rains hard the top layer erodes in places. My goal with the chip seal is to create a surface that will not erode.
Regarding traffic, we have a pretty big 5th wheel but it will only go through a few times a year. The rest of the time will be just our truck when we go run errands. So low frequency traffic overall.

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,918 Posts
Sloping and eroding tells me time to dig some ditches and put in some 8=10 inch ( bigger if needed) PVC and move the water under the road. Trying to fix water from flowing by a surface topping is going to be less than satisfactory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.