DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new here. I did a quick search of the forum but didn't see anybody with the same problem. I have a 2-story house built in the 70's. Top floor has a wood fireplace with a glass door. Bottom floor has a round portal into the chimney for what I'm guessing would be a pot belly stove hookup. I would like to cover up the lower floor chimney portal. The metal structure within appears to have venting around the inner flue. Can I just sawzall the metal that prodrudes from the wall, plug the hole, and put an access panel over the opening?

·
Hvac Pro
23,040 Posts
yes, as long as you use an aluminum cap or plug. sounds like it has a B vent chimney but you can use a single wall cap or plug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt reply Yuri. Aren't B vent chimneys for venting gas appliances and not rated for extreme heat from wood fireplaces? This chimney vents a wood fireplace.

·
Hvac Pro
23,040 Posts
Yur right, I was just wakin up and drinkin my coffee. You have a A vent which usually has a stainless steel liner. Then you have to get a cap or plug from a woodstove dealer made of the appropriate metal to keep the insurance company happy and not degrade the chimney rating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts