DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am looking for some help to make a dream come true. I have a chimney that was used to vent from an old boiler. It runs from my basement through my kitchen upstairs to the roof. I have recently remodeled my kitchen to include a cooktop center island around this red brick chimney.

My friends were sitting at the island watching me cook and the idea of having a small wood pizza oven in the chimney. This idea is firmly stuck in my head. I have to make it a reality.

My I have 2 ideas in how to make this work.
1. cut out the bricks in the front of the chimney. It is about 20 inches by 18 inches. so i would cut out about 24 inches of the front brick. Then i would cement metal dowels into the sides to support a grate to hold wood with a metal ash drawer underneath. another set of dowels about 12 inches up that would support a grill rack. i would then install a metal of glass door.

2. to cut a hole in the brick as above then insert a metal firebox into the hole that has had a grill rack installed. although I have not been able to locate one.

those are my ideas. I have done nothing of this type before. I want something that will last and be easy to use and clean. I don't want my house burned down.

So there it is i submit my idea to your scrutiny. please tell me what is wrong with my ideas or how to improve them or why they outright just wont work. i deeply appreciate all insights.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Both of your ideas may hurt the structural integrity of the existing chimney significantly. A safer idea that would work quite well would be to build your pizza oven adjacent to the existing chimney with a flue pipe out of the top into the side of the existing chimney.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.