DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title basically covers it. My sister (a single mother of two) finally found a house and had movers move the house. They waited until they moved the chest freezer to unplug it, still full of food, and moved it to the new house, in the basement. They didn't tip the freezer but it was bumped around a bit, there is no visible external damage. However when she plugged the freezer in the light on the front won't come on, the light indicates its receiving power, she can no longer hear the hum of the compressor and the food/freezer is warming.
I had her unplug it and leave it unplugged overnight, in case it has Bromide in the cooling system, since I know it takes a little while for it to settle also in case the coolant oil was sloshed out of the compressor.
I also had her check the outlet for power by plugging in something else to verify that it has power. She isn't mechanically inclined and didn't know how else to check for power.

My thought is if it was an oil or Bromide (not even sure it has it inside) issue then the power light would still come on?
Where should I look next? My sister lives 45 min away so I'd love to have a few things to look at and try and get it fixed for her because the cost of a new freezer and all of that food after down payment and moving would definitely hurt her pocket.

Thanks in advance for any help!

· Registered
4,043 Posts
If the light on the freezer used to be lit before the move (it doesn’t light on one of our two freezers) and now it is not, then it seems from the evidence that you’ve given us that there is no power to the receptacle. That is easy enough for anyone to test, even if they aren’t mechanically inclined.

· Registered
appliances
3,159 Posts
The compressor is very dense, so if the freezer was dropped something may have pulled loose from this. The shock mounts may allow enough movement for this to happen.

You'll have to remove panels to check this, and to keep out DIY'ers they may use special fasteners.
Watch out for sharp edges on the panels.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the light on the freezer used to be lit before the move (it doesn’t light on one of our two freezers) and now it is not, then it seems from the evidence that you’ve given us that there is no power to the receptacle. That is easy enough for anyone to test, even if they aren’t mechanically inclined.
She plugged in a small fan in the outlet and the fan works so there is power to the outlet, I thought I had put that in the post..

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. You didn't actually write that she'd done that test and confirmed that the receptacle was live.
Copied from my post:
I also had her check the outlet for power by plugging in something else to verify that it has power. She isn't mechanically inclined and didn't know how else to check for power.

I thought that was clear, sorry. I'm going this evening to look at it. She said she looked and doesn't see any external damage, but tbh I wouldn't be surprised if the cord had been caught or pinched and she doesn't realize it.

· Registered
10,338 Posts
Do you have any helpful neighbors who could keep the food frozen for you?

Is the receptacle a duplex where you could plug in the freezer and the fan at the same time to see that the fan is still going full speed with the freezer plugged in. If the fan slows down then the branch circuit is bad and unable to run the freezer.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have any helpful neighbors who could keep the food frozen for you?

Is the receptacle a duplex where you could plug in the freezer and the fan at the same time to see that the fan is still going full speed with the freezer plugged in. If the fan slows down then the branch circuit is bad and unable to run the freezer.
Yea I think that is the case. Thank you very much that is actually very helpful. I'm more comfortable/competent with a vehicle's electrical system than one in a home.

· Registered
7,270 Posts
How long was the freezer unplugged?
I have one in my garage that can be unplugged for hours and when plugged back in not come on because it didn't lose enough cold, especially when it is full of frozen food.
And the moving may have jiggled the compressor around enough to where it doesn't make enough noise.
The move shouldn't have affected it.....unless of course it was damaged.
It must not be too big of a freezer to be able to move it full of food.

· Registered
1 Posts
This malfunction may be due to improper transportation of the freezer. I think you have the right to sue the moving company for property damage. The next time you choose a mover, you should pay attention to the rating and customer reviews. We moved recently, too. The primary condition for me was the safety of my belongings. It took us a long time to choose a company that would make long-distance moves. There are quite a few such companies in New York City, but we chose seka moving company. I was happy with the move, and most importantly our things are kept in the same condition. If you are moving again, go to this link and learn more information about the services of this company.

· Registered
3,522 Posts
Just to mention, that because the light does not come on does not mean there is no power in the unit.
I have two chest freezers and both indicator lights have been burnt out for years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.