DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Check (foot) valve or clog?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Fantastic 
#1 ·
Anyone know if I have a check valve in this set up??

I've got a drilled well, everything is 20yrs old and I don't have water... I could hear water draining out of my house and can't get the lines to prime. I manually flip the switch to prime the line but only a 1 second spurt of pressure.

Recently there has been a lot of sediment in the filter. I have needed to change the filter (20 particulate) 3 times in 12 days. Is it possible I have a clog??

Any help would be great as I've got 3 kids, a wife and no water :(

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
First of all, I would suggest that you change out all that old incredibly corroded Galvanized pipe. Your pressure switch nipple is probably clogged solid. Ohm out your pump, also. Sounds like your pump is history, and the strainer is gone. I dont like the amount of sediment though. How deep is your well?

#4 ·
jagans said:
First of all, I would suggest that you change out all that old incredibly corroded Galvanized pipe. Your pressure switch nipple is probably clogged solid. Ohm out your pump, also. Sounds like your pump is history, and the strainer is gone. I dont like the amount of sediment though. How deep is your well?
You mean corrosion on pipe is bad?!? LOL Moved in here September and still looking through some things to plan out a budget for needs wants and has to...

The well is a 6" in diameter drilled to 10.81 meters (35.4ft) with a submersible pump on a pitless adapter(no idea what pitless adapter is) And the flow rate was calculated to 3.90 GPM

#5 ·
Any form of steel pipe is bad. I'm suprized as bad as that looks it's not leaking.
That also sure looks like 1/2 copper coming in and out of that filter for a main run.
Should have been 3/4" for better flow.

#6 ·
joecaption said:
Any form of steel pipe is bad. I'm suprized as bad as that looks it's not leaking.
That also sure looks like 1/2 copper coming in and out of that filter for a main run.
Should have been 3/4" for better flow.
It must just be the pic.... The copper is 3/4... I'm lucky as the builder (who built this place and raised his family here) ran the 2nd and 3rd floor with 3/4 and the main with 1/2. I'm the 2nd owner of this house and I know this is just the beginning of repairs... Just hope they are far a part and not all at once!!

#7 ·
Turns out my pump was buried in sand and almost didn't come up out of the well. Once out it was crammed full and it was a cheap one.... New pump and shortened the pipe (5') we are back in business.

Will be cleaning the well in the spring to get all the sand out.

Turns out my well steel pipe is 20' down then it hits bedrock. Then it's down another 10'. House has been here 20 yrs the well could be longer and no doubt has never been cleaned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.