DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
Although you can't get into that area in the crawlspace, those pipes most likely come from there. Holes (as mentioned before) drilled at the outer edge of the floor (as seen from below) would go directly into the wall above and that is a poor place for them it terms of being cold. The hole that the pipes pass through were most likely not sealed so incoming leakage from outside (below the rim) then can follow those pipes up into the cavity.

Sheet metal is actually pretty easy to work with and a tin man could modify an area for you so you could get through when needed, removable section.

Large company where I worked we walked right through the air plenum to get to another basement door.

Anyway, your outside idea will provide some benefit. Old farm houses often had wood panels that went up every winter, all the way around. Close off the ends as best you can.

Bud

·
Registered
286 Posts
I live in Portland OR. You said your house was built in 1978. 2008, 2004, '98, '96 all had temps in the 20s in Portland, '90 was 19, '89 had 2 days of 18 degrees - and your house didn't break a pipe then.

And we have Trump-warming going on now so we likely are going to have even fewer of those kind of days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i restored a 200 year old house that had a well and "well house" (a little smaller than a dog house). This was in VA and it usually snowed each year and we got quite a few freezes. The former owner had bats of fiberglass insulation around the pump and galvanized pipes and a light bulb. The light bulb (when on) generated just enough heat to keep things from freezing... i thought it was pretty brilliant and doesn't get much simpler or cheaper.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
In Alaska it gets 40 to 70 below on the regular. When one absolutely has no other choice but to put pipes in an exterior wall or outside we use pipe wrap heaters or inline pipe heaters.

My sump pump line outside has an inline heater (ours self-regulates and only comes on when it gets 25 below outside.) We had it installed for us (nearly 20 years ago now,) but they put it into the existing drain pipe so it should be possible to retrofit something like it for your sink if you can do a little soldering.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts