DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Wells charbroiler that is electric. It says 208 volt and the back and it has the 3 prong flat plug in. I would like to know if i can use a double breaker and wire directly to the 3 pronged outlet without using a buck/boost transformer. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
If it is wired correctly say for an out building would it matter? :vs_worry:
It all depends on what "wired correctly say for an out building" means.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
The wiring diagram (in the manual Oso posted)looks like it can be reconfigured easily. The wires labelled 9 and 12 connected to the L3 terminal would be moved to the L1 and L2 terminals respectively. They are not interchangeable - 9 goes to L1 and 12 goes to L2. It is unclear whether this would then operate properly on 240V or whether it would require a buck-boost transformer. The manual seems to suggest that this configuration would be for 240V, but shows the same power rating (10.8kW) at both voltages which would require different heating elements.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The wiring diagram (in the manual Oso posted)looks like it can be reconfigured easily. The wires labelled 9 and 12 connected to the L3 terminal would be moved to the L1 and L2 terminals respectively. They are not interchangeable - 9 goes to L1 and 12 goes to L2. It is unclear whether this would then operate properly on 240V or whether it would require a buck-boost transformer. The manual seems to suggest that this configuration would be for 240V, but shows the same power rating (10.8kW) at both voltages which would require different heating elements.

Using this re-wire, would you trust using this at your house?:vs_worry:

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
and maybe destroying the heating elements?
Yeah, I would. It's not rocket science, it's just rearranging some heating element wiring. I'd measure the current flow and see where it ends up. Even if it is 15% higher than normal due to the voltage increase, I'd probably just use it anyway. The chance of damaging it is low.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts