DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all! My sister is having a baby so I am helping her finish the projects on her house she has been putting off. The closet in the master bedroom had no doors on it when they moved in but there is a track with some metal hinges (Pictures are in my album) that have been left. We want to install some bifold doors, since there isn't room for much else space-wise, but aren't sure the best way to go about dealing with the old track and hinges. Any advice on how to correct this situation and move this project forward would be immensely appreciated!!! It seems that the tracks are laid into the existing wood as well as the hinges.

·
Registered
37,378 Posts
Reactions: jlhaslip

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joecaption, Thank you for the reply. I have already measured the closet and selected bifold doors that fit. My question is, what is the best way to remove the existing track? And what will I need to do once the track is out to prep the surface for the new bifold track? (For example, do I need to use wood filler or replace that piece of wood completely?) I realize the old track needs to be removed and that is where I am stuck. I haven't been able to find any resources online that explain how to take it out.

·
Registered
37,378 Posts
Just remove the screws holding it in place and it should just fall down.
Feeling lucky, the new track just may fit right in that same mortis.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I'll look again, but it really appears like the track is laid into the wood itself. Is that possible?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Can you take a pictures from directly below up inside the rail..

Based on he picture thou it does kind of look like the trim was put up after the rail. The middle piece looks like a separate piece from the front. You can see a gap at the end of it..

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Pretty sure that is a one piece metal track. I think I had something to that in a rental property at one time. Probably screwed in place.

Drive a flat blade screwdriver between the track and the wood (header) at one end. Once you have the two separated a little bit, use the claw of your hammer to rip it all down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will take some new pictures next time I am over at the house to clarify. Maybe the screws are covered in paint, but I swear it seemed to be laid into the wood. It is flush with the wood header, not like other tracks I've seen.

Yes, canarywood1, the pictures are from under the header. I am looking up into it.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Just looked at a blowup of your pics, and those are not hinges but brackets for a fabric sliding door, haven't seen them in years, if there are no screws holding those rails, there's a good chance there are nailing flanges under the wood holding the rails in place, so it will have to be removed to access the flanges.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Canarywood1, how do I go about removing those if that is the case (which I do think it may be)? I'm not sure how to do it so I don't damage the header.

Also, if I can get it removed, will the new track go in there? or will I have to fill the gap with something else?

Any tips or detailed instructions you can surmise would be greatly helpful.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Get a set of these pry bars and drive one under the trim that's up against those rails, that is after you check to be sure there are no screws holding those rails in place, then you should be able to see the nailing flange, and just do the same thing to it, don't worry about damaging the trim as you will replace it with new trim.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dasco-Pro-Pry-Bar-Set-3-Piece-91/202585548

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I started trying to pry the pieces out and they seem pretty stuck. I took some new closeup photos for inspection. I am worried I am going to damage the entire top part of the door jamb. Any advice?

I don't see any screws or nails holding them in place.

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,425 Posts
Can you take a pictures from directly below up inside the rail..

Based on he picture thou it does kind of look like the trim was put up after the rail. The middle piece looks like a separate piece from the front. You can see a gap at the end of it..
I'd say to rip the center piece of wood out.

Things gotta get worse before they get better.
That's usually the way with old stuff that you're renovating.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm all for doing what needs to be done, but I am a new DIYer and could use some step by step instructions, anyone kind enough to help me out or link to a tutorial that could give guidance? Much appreciated!

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,425 Posts
I'm all for doing what needs to be done, but I am a new DIYer and could use some step by step instructions, anyone kind enough to help me out or link to a tutorial that could give guidance? Much appreciated!
There's no tutorial for investigative destruction....mmm destruction....... I love that word....ahhh.....

Ah,....oh......ya......back to your problem. You need to pry the piece of wood out that's between the two tracks. It will get destroyed for sure but you're going to be pulling the track out anyways and may need to fill the void with a new strip of wood.

Do you have a pry bar or a huge slot screw driver?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts