DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a double switch box (two single pole switches) in bathroom and one goes to a light and the other to a fan. They are pigtailed together. The bare copper wire is pigtailed and the black wire is pigtailed. There is a red wire in the top of the single pole switch and not pigtailed. I want to put a dimmer on the light switch. The dimmer (Lutron AYCL-153P-WH)has a separate ground wire (Green wire) and three screws. How do I configure this dimmer with it being pigtailed to the fan switch. It seems that all the switches (lights) in the bathroom are on the same circuit breaker. Any help (visual) would be great.
Phil

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,829 Posts
That switch is both a single pole and a 3 way. Connect the pigtailed wire to the common and connect the othe wire to 1 of the other screws. 1 screw will be unused. Connect yhe ground.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That switch is both a single pole and a 3 way. Connect the pigtailed wire to the common and connect the othe wire to 1 of the other screws. 1 screw will be unused. Connect yhe ground.
rjniles,
So on the dimmer switch which screw should the pigtailed common wire (black) be connected too? I attached a photo of the dimmer and there are two same color screws and one copper color screw. The dimmer has it's own green wire that is labeled as a ground. I take it that I should unhook the pigtailed bare copper wire to both switches and connect all the grounds together with a wire nut? Sorry but a electrical novice here.

All I believe the red wire travels to the light, and that wire can connect to any screw on the dimmer switch even in a push-in terminal?
Phil

Attachments

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,829 Posts
Connect the pigtailed wire to the copper screw, connect the red to 1 of the other screws.
Connect the green with the other bare copper.

The instructions with the switch should explain all this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts