DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I just moved into a new house and while the layout is perfect for my modern-ish goals, lots of the details are very builder grade. In this case, all the doors are you're basic 6 panel composite doors.

I looked into buying modern doors with no panel design (a flat, smooth surface door) but they get prohibitively expensive when they're not hollow.
Is it possible to use some sort of putty or other filler to fill in the panels and not have to replace the door?
No, you cannot fill a hollow core door with putty for a few reasons. The structure won't support the added weight. The interior is honey combed with cardboard for the rigidity, so it's many little compartments, not a big hollow space.
How expensive are solid door slabs?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Ron,

Sorry I may not have been clear enough. I do not currently have hollow core doors. I have the 6 panel doors. I am asking whether i can use some sort of filler to fill in the panel design on the doors. The end goal is to make the door look like the more expensive modern, smooth finished doors.
Why don't you just skin them over with a 1/8" plywood or paneling? Just realize, you'll need to move the door stops to compensate for the extra width.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Ron,

Sorry I may not have been clear enough. I do not currently have hollow core doors. I have the 6 panel doors. I am asking whether i can use some sort of filler to fill in the panel design on the doors. The end goal is to make the door look like the more expensive modern, smooth finished doors.
Solid wood, raised panel doors are an upgrade over solid flush doors. Whether it's your taste is another matter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.