DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
I do not feel that the filler will stay in place over time. Say the wind blew the door shut, there goes the filler. The recesses on a six panel are pretty deep that I have to agree that the weight of it will not hold over time.

Here is an off the wall suggestion. I just sold six doors on Craig's list. They were circa 1900, solid wood--maybe someone in your area has flush doors and are wanting to replace with 6 panel ones??????????

·
Registered
495 Posts
Umjax, Hey There, in your first post you stated that the doors are a 6 panel composite (that means that they are hollow core), in a second response you said that we did not read you correctly---that you had 6 panel doors. As was stated by Organick earlier in this thread solid wood doors are an upgrade and in many houses that I have worked in over the years I seldom see solid wood doors. You would know better than us if the doors are solid wood or not. Most solid doors will be smooth as far as the grain goes, and yes you will see the six panels but you will not see grain. Composite doors have a faux wood grain look to them when they are 6 panel doors.

I have to disagree about adding a skin of 1/4 inch ply over top of what you have now, be it solid or composite. There will be an exposed edge of the plywood that would need to be somehow covered, spackled or whatever to hide the sandwich fabrication of the plywood. If your existing doors are hollow core, granted you could use liquid nails and or other fasteners to attach the plywood---will it hold?????, but then having to change the hinge placement, adding 1/2 inch of thickness to the door (if you do both sides) the door will not set in the jamb properly AND there is the cost of the plywood and time for labor. A flush door, be it hollow or not is a much easier solution and not that much more $$$$$$$.

IMHO purchasing flush hollow core doors in the long run will be much less trouble and get to the look you want. Yes you could spend more for solid wood doors but what would be the reason for that??????? less noise if the kids are to loud???? or whatever:laughing:. No matter what you do more than likely you will have to mortise for the hinges, drill for the knobs and tongue plate on the new doors. Some work, yes, but not that hard with the right tools.

The filling of what you have now just will not last you:wink:, and I would hate to see you:mad: down the road.

Best of Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.