DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My garage door is off the kitchen and the light switch in in the kitchen. Since I usually have boots and shoes in the garage in the winter I find I have to leave the door open so I can turn the lights off. I would like to have two 3 way switches, one in the kitchen and one in the garage so the kitchen door can be shut while I get ready to leave.

It seems that it would be simple given I need to change the existing 2 way switch to a 3 way, then install another 3 way on the other side of the wall. My question is, how do I do it.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Tom C

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,704 Posts
Run a 3 wire cable, 12-3# or 14-3# from the existing switch to a new switch box in the garage. Replace the single pole switch with a 3 way, install a second 3 way in the garage.

# wire size depends on what exists; 15 amp use 14-3, 20 amp use 12-3.

·
Super Moderator
22,783 Posts
This is simple once you get a three wire cable (14/3 or 12/3) to the new switch.
I am going to skip ground wires in the description. Connect all of them together and to the switch if it has a ground screw.

Remove the two wires from the existing switch. Leave everything else alone. The wires could be both black or black and white. Might even be black and red. It doesn't matter.
Connect one of the wires from the old switch to the common screw of your new three way switch#1.
Connect the other wire from the old switch to the black wire to your new switch#2 cable.
Connect the red and white wires to the remaining two traveller screws of the new switch#1.

At new switch#2 connect the black to the common screw.
Connect the red and white wires to the remaining two traveller screws of the new switch#2.

·
Banned
14,506 Posts
Don't bother running a bunch of wire all over the place. Use Maestro wireless technology. It's faster, easier, and you don't have to deal with the code in running a bunch of extra wires. Replace ONE switch with a Lutron Maestro rf switch then buy and program up to ten wireless remotes for it. The remotes are styled so you can mount them and have them look like and actual light switch on the wall, or place them on a coffee table.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is simple once you get a three wire cable (14/3 or 12/3) to the new switch.
I am going to skip ground wires in the description. Connect all of them together and to the switch if it has a ground screw.

Remove the two wires from the existing switch. Leave everything else alone. The wires could be both black or black and white. Might even be black and red. It doesn't matter.
Connect one of the wires from the old switch to the common screw of your new three way switch#1.
Connect the other wire from the old switch to the black wire to your new switch#2 cable.
Connect the red and white wires to the remaining two traveller screws of the new switch#1.

At new switch#2 connect the black to the common screw.
Connect the red and white wires to the remaining two traveller screws of the new switch#2.

OK, remembering that I want the new 3 way switch on the other side of the same wall, and I can't see what's behind the installed switch; do I just drill a hole through the box with the existing switch.

Here are 2 pictures. They should show the new 3 way switch is only on the other side of the wall (I will probably need to drop the new wall plate a foot or so, I just don't want to run into anything I wouldn't want to run into.

I hope this is clear.

Tom

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,783 Posts
Don't drill any new holes in the box. When you cut the hole on the other side you should be able to feed the cable up or down into the existing box via one of the existing holes. Then put the cable into the new box and insert the box into the hole. Make your connections.

When cutting the new hole make it smaller than needed so you can take a peek and see if needs to be adjusted a bit from where you thought it should go.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,704 Posts
Cut the hole above, below or to one side of the existing box. If you cut directly behind the existing, they will not fit in the wall.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You are probably correct .

In any event , the photos help a bunch . Appears to be a piece of cake .

The 3 gang switch box appears to be attached to a stud . He should use a long thin screwdriver or the blade of a sheet rock saw to gently / carefully probe either side of the 3 gang box to determine which side the stud is on . Then locate the new box on the opposite side of the wall on the side away from the stud .

And give a few inches of separation . Just in case he mis-measures .

I would put the new switch at ADA height .

God bless
Wyr

1 - 16 of 16 Posts