DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I recently had a chainlink fence installed. I've noticed several single wires (maybe where they had to splice together) sticking straight up on top rail. Is that right? Don't look right to me. Also several poles seem loose. I don't think deep enough they used concrete. He said to soke the ground around them to see if dirt tightens up. I already know where this is going. Last the bottom tension wire is tight but it is under the fence not up a ways . I questioned this and he said there is 2 ways to do it and he perferd this way. Well honestly I don't. I do not see how it would really benefit to keep dogs in or out. Does any of this make sense to someone who knows about installing chainlink fencd?
Thanks

·
Super moderator
2,073 Posts
you really should discuss this earnestly with the installer
and try to reach a mutual resolution of the issues and your concerns.
if he refuses to meet your requirements, there is a small claims court
that can help you. (worth checking into).
the longer you let it ride, the harder it will be for you to get any kind of resolution.
without photos here, there is no way we can accurately respond to your question.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Loose poles and soaking the ground sounds like really poor work. I had a wooden fence installed once on a commercial property, they dug the holes, set the 4x4 post, backfilled with dirt, and added a 2” thick cap of concrete.

·
Usually Confused
8,211 Posts
Agree that you should talk to the contractor sooner than later. Not turning back a spliced wire is a easy fix and they should have taken care of that. Nothing sounds right about loose post that are set in concrete. Not an easy fix but sounds like substandard work. A lot depends on what was agreed to. Bottom wire; meh. I've put a few chain links for our dogs at various houses and never put a bottom wire in. I'm not convinced they're necessary unless you've got a really aggressive dog but, again, depends on what was agreed to. You've got a bottom wire, just not the way you thought you were going to get one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the longer you let it ride, the harder it will be for you to get any kind of resolution.
without photos here, there is no way we can accurately respond to your question.

I did discuss with installer. He said for poles to wet the ground good and see if that helps if not to call him back. Which I know ill have to because there is not much dirt so I KNOW poles aren't set deep enough. Tension wire said 2 ways to do it he liked this way best.🤨

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

There are approx 15 of the wire sticking up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree that you should talk to the contractor sooner than later. Not turning back a spliced wire is a easy fix and they should have taken care of that. Nothing sounds right about loose post that are set in concrete. Not an easy fix but sounds like substandard work. A lot depends on what was agreed to. Bottom wire; meh. I've put a few chain links for our dogs at various houses and never put a bottom wire in. I'm not convinced they're necessary unless you've got a really aggressive dog but, again, depends on what was agreed to. You've got a bottom wire, just not the way you thought you were going to get one.
No i think even with wire turned down it still would not look right. Where they weaved the 2 pieces of mesh fence together approx 15 wires .

·
Usually Confused
8,211 Posts
No i think even with wire turned down it still would not look right. Where they weaved the 2 pieces of mesh fence together approx 15 wires . View attachment 633211
Ya, sorry, I was picturing the mesh that has the tops turned back. I can't remember the last time I saw you style of fence in a residential setting. That one piece could still be bent back down, though.

Wire fencing Chain-link fencing Iron Fence Mesh

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found on a fence company website that says that wgen you weave two pieces and you end up with nothing to tie to you need to start over. I guess one side the end needs to be full diamond and the other half diamond which I guess would make sense with half diamond you could tie to. Something like that. I think it weakens fence because tension bar runs through the half diamond in corners so bssically its the one wire weave on end. There's 15 single wires sticking up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts