DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy ONE air compressor that I can use for filling tires, easy nailing, and painting things like a door, an iron porch railing, shutters, etc.

When painting the gun will not be triggered continuously, otherwise I’d use my airless.

But i I simply want to use a siphon/pressure-pot/gravity gun, what is the minimum CFM compressor I should buy???

·
retired painter
13,130 Posts
As noted above spray guns require a lot of CFM. It is possible to spray with a compressor rated for a lesser amount of CFM but you'd need to take breaks while the air compressor catches back up.

Painting and sanding/grinding require the most CFM.

·
retired painter
13,130 Posts
I've sprayed quite a few cars [and one van] with my little 1hp 11 gallon Sears compressor. I could almost spray a quart before I had to stop and let it recover. I painted a wrecker for a friend of mine. He had a 2 stage compressor with an 80 gallon tank. I was filling the quart cup for the 3rd time when it cranked up - took me by surprise!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.