DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a follow-up which may benefit others with a similar problem. I was the one with three outdoor fixtures which did not light when the weather turned cold, under 30F or so. I got no help from the store, and the company that made the fixtures did not bother answering me at all.
And the CFL manufacturer did not respond to me either.

I tried something that worked on one lamp, and I plan to try it on the other two in hopes of another good result. What I decided to do was to
remove the built-in light detector cell which was supposed to prevent the lights from working in daylight. This worked!

That one fixture now works regardless of temperature, while the other two still don't work when it is cold at night. I can't explain this, but I'd like to know if anyone has any idea why this light detector prevented the lights from operating a low temperatures.

I am passing this on in case it might be helpful to someone else. It's at least worth a try. I tried this because there was nothing to lose at this point. I had no outside lights on cold winter nights, so I'd try anything,
even if it seemed to be unrelated and far-fetched.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i don't know the electronics explanation as to the why, but there are CFL specific photo-cells. I have two existing intregal photo-cell lights on my garage that work ok with CFL's. I installed CFL's to other outdoor lights I have and went through a couple three CFL specific add-on photo-cells before I got ones that worked reliablby.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.