DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my house has new siding installed, there are 4 windows and all the trims are replaced with 1 X 4 certainteed j-pocket pvc trim - see picture. The house is housewrap and thin foam on top of that. The trims mitered cut around the window (not sure what's underneath or if flashing are installed. 2 windows has the siding cut 1/4" from the bottom edge of the pvc trim and has a utility trim, that I can move up and down easily (not nailed onto the wall?) - see picture. The other 2 windows have the siding cut up to the bottom of the pvc trim and not utility trim - see picture.

I have not have a chance to look at the top, but it looks like water will come from top to the bottom and just go behind the vinyl siding! Ok, vinyl siding is not waterproof, but with traditional j-channel, the water are direct away and onto outside of the vinyl siding. I am worry about moisture collect behind the vinyl causing mold and even if the foam and housewrap are "waterproof", it is probably full of nail holes by now and pvc trim are screwed onto the frame, but probably not leak proof (probably just caulked), so the wood might rot - which was my original problem. Anyone has experience with this trim and how did they solve the problem so I can fix it? I am familiar with classic flashing and window cap and j channel, but not pvc trim. I thought the square cut of pvc trim might give a better water protection than miter cut. I wonder if I can even fit a j-channel behind the j-pocket (which was suppose to avoid using one in the first place)

Attachments

·
Registered
37,269 Posts
That's no different then if they had of used J molding.
Any water that did find a way in will just run down the foam and or house wrap and leak out the bottom of the siding and never touch the wood behind it.

·
11,730 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am just not buying this...My contractor assured me that the flexible flashing underneath the pvc trim will protect the water from getting to the wood. The miter cut is just a look. I called Certainteed for j pocket trim, they said the contractor did as expected and the water is just go down the foam out of the house (how about mold? algae if not dry out or even expansion of water becoming ice?) Certainteed also is the viny siding we used, it does not have holes at the bottom of the siding, so water will have to travel to the very end down to foundation.:surprise: Everything that seems to go against what I know about vinyl siding/flashing/exterior trimming. I am sure I won't be able to find the contractor if I ever had problem. but maybe they are right, it won't be a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts