1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had issue with water in my basement besides a sink problem
that flooded the basement once, but I have a concrete slab in my basement
and I want to install ceramic tile.

My understanding is that you put plywood, then thinset on top, then backerboard, the more thinset, then the ceramic tile...

If there is flooding, won't the plywood get wet underneath and have no way of drying and therefore cause a mold/smell issue?

·
retired framer
63,400 Posts
I have never had issue with water in my basement besides a sink problem
that flooded the basement once, but I have a concrete slab in my basement
and I want to install ceramic tile.

My understanding is that you put plywood, then thinset on top, then backerboard, the more thinset, then the ceramic tile...

If there is flooding, won't the plywood get wet underneath and have no way of drying and therefore cause a mold/smell issue?
Tile is the best floor to deal with a flood, why would anyone put wood in there.

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
Why would you not just put your tile directly on top of the concrete? I mean, if your concrete is really smooth maybe rough it up some so your adhesive has some purchase, but otherwise, why?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm not a tile guy. but as far as I understand the plywood is only there since its a subfloor. Your subfloor is a concrete slab, no need for the plywood. I don' t think (but don't know) if you should be doing backer board on top of concrete.

check for level/flat and consider what to do if your floor is painted concrete, you may need to rough that up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.