DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed ceramic tile without thin set. I attached the hardiebacker board to the plywood and then spread a grout/adhesive combo to the floor. I set the tiles and about an hour later used the remainder of the grout/adhesive mix to grout the tile. Should I be concerned?!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
any good tile guy will tell you the only place to use mastic is on a wall that doesnt get wet. they could tell you how long til you start having problems.
was your floor really flat?

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,205 Posts
I installed ceramic tile without thin set. I attached the hardiebacker board to the plywood and then spread a grout/adhesive combo to the floor. I set the tiles and about an hour later used the remainder of the grout/adhesive mix to grout the tile. Should I be concerned?!
A bit more information might help.

Can you be more specific than "grout/adhesive combo"? What specific products?

Exactly how did you attach the hardiebacker board to the plywood?

How large of an area? Where: kitchen, bath, entryway?

I'm curious how were you able to come back in an hour and not only "grout" but clean up the tiles without messing up or shifting them?

·
Registered
63 Posts
It doesn't sound like the floor will hold up for very long. Did you install the Hardie per the manufacturer's instructions by mortar bedding it, and using the correct screws, with correct spacing? Modified thinset is what you want to use when installing ceramic floor tile, the kind you mix, that comes in a bag, not in a bucket. Just my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts