DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am currently working on adding a bathroom to my basement and would like to add a bathroom fan. My home has a central exhaust fan, where each upstairs bathrooms feed into it. The switches in those bathrooms are in parallel. Each switch will turn the fan off and on, but one does not turn the fan off if the other turned it on (ie.. not a 3-way).

I am assuming it is wired something like this...
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vsuPaXklQPd_c2SvZG9vWdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Power may go to the fan first, but I'm not 100% sure.

Now to add another switch for the new bathroom, the question i have is if it is wired like this, will the new switch need to be on the same circuit? Or could it be on a separate circuit and meet up with the other prior to entering the fan. I'm assuming it would need to be on the same circuit and in parallel to the other switches, but just wanted to confirm.

Thanks.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Same circuit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figured as much. Thanks for the response. I need to double check to make sure power isnt going to the fan first, rather than to switch one. On the other hand, that would probably make for an easier installation of the new switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts