DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Heading out camping for a few days, so I’ll get some time to reflect(drink). I‘m waiting on the estimate from a contractor that was here yesterday, plus another(last) is scheduled for next Monday so we’ll see what the outcome is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would look at a mini split and just put the units where you need them. Not the same but I had a Mitsubishi minisplit put into my daughter's condo one unit outside and the 3 rooms have their own controls, she loves it she can keep the bedroom cooler than the rest of the unit. She sleeps very very cool so it really was the best way we had to pay a major premium due to how old and difficult it is to work in the condo and it was 18K. Any other type of installation should be less. The unit can also provide heat too if needed which can help her if she has someone in the guest room that needs heat. She usually keeps her thermostat at 60 during the winter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you rarely need the 2nd portable a/c unit, why not just keep running what you have? It's "Free" vs adding in a new system, just pay for electricity. Global warming isn't going to jack your areas temperatures up that much, that quickly.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
If you rarely need the 2nd portable a/c unit, why not just keep running what you have? It's "Free" vs adding in a new system, just pay for electricity. Global warming isn't going to jack your areas temperatures up that much, that quickly.
OP already said that they don't like the noise.

I agree, that this year is likely just an above average year but never the less has prompted many in those areas to consider ac for the first time.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
OP already said that they don't like the noise.
Maybe a higher-quality, quieter portable unit? I would still be far cheaper than adding central air. If less than 1 ton of cooling capacity has been adequate, a 1 ton (12,000 btu) window or wall unit should be adequate for quite a while longer, even if the warming continues. I looked at several 12,000 btu units in the $300-$400 range with max noise rating around 52 db, which is quieter than most (maybe all) dishwashers.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
Maybe a higher-quality, quieter portable unit? I would still be far cheaper than adding central air. If less than 1 ton of cooling capacity has been adequate, a 1 ton (12,000 btu) window or wall unit should be adequate for quite a while longer, even if the warming continues. I looked at several 12,000 btu units in the $300-$400 range with max noise rating around 52 db, which is quieter than most (maybe all) dishwashers.
I don't know of any that are quiet. At least quiet enough for people not used to ac.

Problem is that the noise is next to the bed, instead of in a different room /floor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
In regards to a quieter portable, that’s not really the issue. It’s the fact of where it has to be located. Same with a window unit. My living/kitchen/dining area is quite a large area with the only window that opens over the kitchen sink. I have the entry door on one side and a slider on the other. I currently have one portable exhausting out the slider through a pet door and the other is in the hallway that leads to the bedrooms with the exhaust(insulated because of the heat) going all the way across a bedroom to the window. The master bedroom only has a slider, no windows. Without trying to sound snooty, I want central air because it‘s cleaner looking and will be the most likely to not devalue the house, plus it’s really not that expensive based upon the quotes I’ve received. The portables were more of a short term fix until I made a decision on which path to choose, and I considered every option mentioned.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I want central air because it‘s cleaner looking and will be the most likely to not devalue the house,
Fair enough. Now that I understand your limitations and preferences, central air seems like the right call. Thanks for taking the time to explain the situation.

Anyway, it appears, based on the one 10,000 btu mobile being adequate nearly all the time, that a 1.5 ton (18,000 btu) condenser unit should be adequate. Whether you can/should pair that small of a condenser with an evaporator coil that is large enough to provide adequate air flow for the furnace during heating season would seem to be the question of interest.

Assuming that you do need a larger coil, I am unclear as to whether pairing a 1.5 ton condenser with, say, a 3 ton coil would be a problem functionally, or if it's just less efficient, or not done because it's considered a waste of money. Hopefully, those with more expertise in the subject can answer that (if they haven't already, and I just didn't catch it).

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
Fair enough. Now that I understand your limitations and preferences, central air seems like the right call. Thanks for taking the time to explain the situation.

Anyway, it appears, based on the one 10,000 btu mobile being adequate nearly all the time, that a 1.5 ton (18,000 btu) condenser unit should be adequate. Whether you can/should pair that small of a condenser with an evaporator coil that is large enough to provide adequate air flow for the furnace during heating season would seem to be the question of interest.

Assuming that you do need a larger coil, I am unclear as to whether pairing a 1.5 ton condenser with, say, a 3 ton coil would be a problem functionally, or if it's just less efficient, or not done because it's considered a waste of money. Hopefully, those with more expertise in the subject can answer that (if they haven't already, and I just didn't catch it).
He did his own load calc. 18 mbh looks like it'll be enough. 2 ton if he wants a faster pull down. His humidity won't be an issue due to the climate.

Going with a larger coil is normal, and depends on the situation. It costs more.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts