DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I live on a lake house, the waterfront is about 40 ft away and i get that comes with odd insects but i dont tollerate that in my house. I read up on CENTIPEDES and found my best bet was to get rid of their food; the SPIDERS. That was suprisingly simple! Peppermint/mint extract with water and a drop of soap in a spray bottle. This has worked, its been over 2 months, I spary the house whenever i remember to (its also a nice scent for an air freshener).

My problem is, now that I scared the SPIDERS away, the CENTIPEDES are gone and a plaugue of flying bugs (the ones that flock to bright lights) block my doorway. I know i've destroyed this ecosystem but how do I get rid of these things?

Things I've heard: Pail of water, Chillies, Bug Zapper light, and changing the light bulb to yellow.

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,205 Posts
I'm not quite sure I understand. Do you mean bugs are attracted to your outdoor light? A yellow bug light may help. Or rewire the light away from the door if possible.

I have an outdoor light on either side of my slider. During the summer the bugs are so bad I can't open the door without letting tons in. I simply unscrew the bulb on that side.

·
Registered
37,230 Posts
Welcome to the country.
You just have to be from the city if this is an issue.
Spray all you want, turn on that light and your going to have bugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts