DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a porch where you step up two steps go about 8 feet then another step. It has started to come apart and crumble due to age (65 years) and too much salt over the winters.

Wife wants to remove it and instead of steps do it as a ramp. I am not to sure about it. anyone done a porch with a concrete ramp?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
We put handicap ramps to all our buildings when I worked at the county and ADA came about. Either you want it or you don’t.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The problem with ramps is that they are dangerous in the winter if you get ice. You would need to figure out the rise and length of the ramp. For instance, ADA says 1:12 is the most slope you should have. 1 foot of rise in 12 feet. Not that you have to abide by a handicap standard, but just to compare.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Not that you have to abide by a handicap standard, but just to compare.

Some places, local codes require that if you have a ramp it must comply with ADA; some homeowner's insurance policies have the same requirement, due to liability issues.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts

·
retired framer
38,809 Posts
I have to second guess the video.
When it shows the steps/walk supposedly finished with snow around.
He claims it's not hooked into the house but it worked great clearing the snow.

That would be fine except you can see the shovel behind him leaning against the house.

Beginning at 1:36
Yeah, you also need a place for the water to go.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
We have a porch where you step up two steps go about 8 feet then another step. It has started to come apart and crumble due to age (65 years) and too much salt over the winters.

Wife wants to remove it and instead of steps do it as a ramp. I am not to sure about it. anyone done a porch with a concrete ramp?
It's hard to imagine the landscape, show us a picture.?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts